Friday, March 20, 2009

Copycat



I'm not really the type of person to be a high-scorer or so when it comes to papers, but I still could manage most of the questions that were thrown to me (provided that I, of course, have ample preparations beforehand).

And I strongly believe that whenever it comes to doing things, it's either you do it with all your effort, or you totally do not do it at all. Plagiarism hardly is an option to me, and as a matter of fact, I really do hate it when someone else that does not put any effort into himself copying my efforts.

Meet this certain guy U. Encountered him in the subject I'm taking this semester, and while I had the oppurtunity to point him his mistakes in the tutorial sessions, but it appears that this U person seems to have misunderstood my gesture as a sign that I am willing to help him pass the subject, by any means.

Well, I noticed his odd behaviour when the time came for the big quiz. I was sitting right at the back of the class that day, and said guy was sitting directly in front of me. And it was when I finished my paper that I caught him turning his back trying to fish the answers off my page.

Oh no you don't, as I thought while I quickly withdrew my already-completed paper from the table and submit it up to the lecturer.

But at that moment, I knew exactly that this will not be the last time that he will try to steal from me. The following week I just pretend that I did not notice his peekings and continued on helping him in the tutorials. Not in the mood to be giving him a big payback for his wrongdoings, but rather I would prefer to spectate him crumble by himself with his pathetic measures.

I managed to score 5/5 on that paper (despite I nearly got my answer wrong due to poor handwriting). And I managed to spy on that U's marks, and he only got 3/5. Oops. Adding to the irony, his friend in the same class also scored full.

Then the mid-term paper for the subject came this week. This time the venue had changed to a different lecture hall, and this time I secured a sitting place in the most front row (as the culture around here goes, the front row seats are extremely unpopular among the students because you will get the lecturer's flak firsthand most of the time). Yeah, the whole row was empty, until...

Not surprisingly, Mr. U and his friend. Gee, I wonder why?

Now that our sitting positions were somewhat more distant compared to during the quiz, and with me putting up extra measures while answering my paper, he couldn't even get a chance to sneak on my paper at all.

The fun part was that, the moment he caught his first chance to turn his head to spy on my answers, it was the exact moment that I had finished answering my paper, and I just turned my paper 180 degrees, with the top facing me and the bottom facing the front. And within the minute, the lecturer had already started to collect the papers of those who had already finished, and I handed mine up immediately. Awwww.

Sorry to say to this Mr. U, but just because I am generous to help at a chance given, doesn't mean I should risk my neck and let him go the easy way. Things in life are earned via hardships, and he will have a very long way to go.

No comments: